How to open an account.
Please Note: Adobe Reader is required to view our application form, click here to download the program free of charge from the adobe website.
Opening an account is easy. Simply follow the steps below:
1. Terms and Conditions / Terms of Business
Carefully read Product Terms and Conditions, General Investment Conditions and Terms of Business (applicable to services we provide you which are subject to the Consumer Protection Code issued by the Central Bank of Ireland).
These documents, including the Application Form, form a legal contract between you and us so its important that you read these carefully. You should save or print these documents so that you can keep them in a safe place and easily reference them in future.
2. Financial Services Compensation Scheme Information Sheet
Leeds Building Society is a participant in the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS), the UK’s deposit guarantee scheme. Please read the Financial Services Scheme Information Sheet below:
Further details are also available from the FSCS website at www.fscs.org.uk
3. Application Form
Print and complete the Application Form before signing and submitting to us along with your identity and address documentation detailed below.
4. Verifying your identity and address
We have anti-money laundering requirements under the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010 and as a new customer of the Society, processing of your application may only commence after we have received to our satisfaction all relevant documentation to prove your identity, address and PPS number.
Proof of your identity
Please note: if you're sending a copy of an original document, it needs to be certified.
A certified copy of ONE of the following:
- Full EU Photo Driving Licence (with photo)
- Valid EU Passport
- An identification form (ML10) which is available upon request from our Dublin office or our website verified by the Garda Siochana.
Documentation must be certified by ONE of the following:
- Garda Siochana
- Chartered & Certified Public Accountant
- Notaries Public/Practising Solicitor
- Bank or Building Society Official
The person providing the certification should complete the following on the copy:
- Confirm that it is a true copy of the original document;
- Clearly state, in capital letters, his/her name, position, address and telephone number of the company/firm/practice or employer for whom they work; and
- Sign, date and preferably stamp the document with their official stamp.
Proof of your address
We will need to see an original of TWO of the following:
- Utility Bill
- Bank or Building Society Statement
- Tax-free Allowance Certificate
- Balancing Statement from the Revenue Commissioners
- Revenue Commissioners C2 Tax Certificate or Social Insurance Documentation.
Documentation in relation to address verification should be no more than 3 months old, or in relation to Revenue or Social Insurance Documentation they should be no more than 12 months old. It is acceptable to provide two utility bills/bank statements if they are from different providers.
Proof of your PPS number
In order to meet our taxation requirements, you are also required to provide proof of your PPS number. This can usually be found on Revenue Commissioners documentation, Tax-free Allowance Certificate, Balancing Statement or C2 Tax Certificate.
If an original document cannot be provided, any copies of proof of your identity documents or proof of your PPS number documents need to be certified*.
*A certified copy is a photocopy signed and stamped by a suitable person such as a member of Garda Siochana, a Chartered/Certified Public Accountant, a Practising solicitor,
5. Cheque for your initial lodgement
Make an initial lodgement by including a cheque with your application form. The cheque should be made payable to Leeds Building Society and include on the reverse your Account number and/or name(s) of the account holder(s) to whom the cheque is being paid.
6. Post your application to us
Post your application, with the documents listed above to:
Leeds Building Society
28-32 Pembroke Street Upper
When we receive your application form, cheque for your investment and adequate ID (including prof of address and PPS number), we will normally process your account within 5 working days, after which, you will receive your Passbook.