Back to September 2015

Belfast branch's birthday gift to local charities

Leeds Building Society's branch in Belfast invited customers old and new to help it celebrate a big birthday.

As part of the festivities, the Society made a £600 birthday donation to three local good causes, chosen by branch colleagues. Visitors voted for their favourite charity to decide which received the largest share, and more than 100 votes were cast.

Macmillan Cancer Support, Northern Ireland Children's Hospice and Tiny Life came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, receiving £300, £200 and £100 respectively.

"We were delighted to receive so many votes," said Ian Devany, Leeds Building Society's Belfast Branch Manager.

"Representatives from the three charities called in to see us and receive their donation from branch colleagues.

"Our team decorated the branch and gave cakes and goody bags to members and other locals who came by to join in our celebrations.

"The Society has been helping the people of Belfast buy the homes they want, and save up for the things that are important to them, since 1955.

"For a building society which has been in existence for 140 years, it's impressive to think the Belfast branch has been open for almost half of that time."

Ends

Notes to Editors

Pictured (L-R): <br><strong>Christopher Kelly</strong> (Belfast branch customer service advisor), <strong>Kimberly Hill</strong> (Tiny Life), <strong>Eva Toal</strong> (Northern Ireland Children's Hospice), <strong>Emma Ewings</strong> (Macmillan Cancer) and <strong>Ian Devany</strong> (Belfast branch manager).

Pictured (L-R):
Christopher Kelly (Belfast branch customer service advisor), Kimberly Hill (Tiny Life), Eva Toal (Northern Ireland Children's Hospice), Emma Ewings (Macmillan Cancer) and Ian Devany (Belfast branch manager).

Leeds Building Society's Belfast branch is at 19-21 Cornmarket, Belfast, BT1 4DB.

Leeds Building Society has 67 branches throughout the UK, Gibraltar and Ireland and assets of £12.7bn (as at 30th June 2015). The Society has operated from the centre of Leeds since 1886.