Record number of colleagues volunteered their time in 2016
Leeds Building Society colleagues volunteered 2,530 hours to support 70 good causes in 2016, the equivalent of 361 days in total.
Over 30 per cent of colleagues took advantage of the Society’s volunteering scheme, which allows all colleagues a day’s paid leave each year to help in the community.
This included Kelly Martin, Service Desk Team Leader, who led 11 colleagues mentoring students at Swallow Hill Community College in Armley, Leeds. The volunteers designed tasks to help the students with confidence, self-belief, interacting with others and employability.
Kelly beat more than 300 other mentors to be named 2016 Yorkshire Mentor of the Year by Mosaic, the Prince’s Trust’s mentoring initiative which supports young people in deprived and disadvantaged communities.
In addition to time volunteered by colleagues, Leeds Building Society last year supported good causes close to its branches and offices across the country with donations totalling £134,000.
This included a £90,000 donation to its own Charitable Foundation, which supports community-based projects providing relief from suffering, hardship or poverty, or their direct consequences.
The Society also donated 10p for each postal vote and 20p for each online vote by members at its AGM in April. This resulted in a donation of £8,540 shared between Depaul UK, Sense and Leeds Building Society Charitable Foundation, causes chosen by members.
Community sports clubs were among the other good causes to benefit from grants from the Society, which also match funded charitable activities by colleagues.
“As a building society, this volunteering activity and charitable donations fit with our commitment to doing what’s right for our members, colleagues and communities,” said Luke Wellock, Leeds Building Society’s Corporate Responsibility Manager.
Notes to Editors
Photograph of Kelly Martin.
Leeds Building Society operates throughout the UK, Gibraltar and Ireland and has assets of £14.9bn (at 30th June 2016). The Society’s head office has been based in the centre of Leeds since 1886.