Last lengths for Southampton woman’s English Channel challenge for Samaritans
A Southampton woman is closing in on her goal of swimming 22 miles – the equivalent of crossing the English Channel – to raise money for Samaritans.
Katherine Hutchinson, a customer service advisor at the Southampton branch of Leeds Building Society, has just ten miles left of her challenge.
The money raised by Katherine will be donated to Samaritans as part of a partnership between the charity and Leeds Building Society, which aims to raise £250,000 by 2020.
Katherine said: “The work Samaritans does is fantastic and we have a local branch near us offering help to people in Southampton and the surrounding area.
“I enjoy helping people and I really wanted to contribute to the amazing efforts of all of our colleagues across the Society. It’s been quite a challenge and it’s great to know I’ve almost reached my target.”
Volunteers at Samaritans respond to thousands of requests for help by phone, text, email and face-to-face visits every year.
Stephanie Kerr, a Samaritans volunteer, who is responsible for Southampton branch said: “It’s brilliant to see so many creative fundraising activities running to support us.
“The partnership with Leeds Building Society has only recently kicked off and we’ve been overwhelmed with the efforts of people like Katherine, to raise awareness and money, so we can continue to provide a service for anyone who needs to talk.”
Anyone looking to support Katherine can visit her JustGiving page to donate.
Notes to Editors
- Anyone can contact Samaritans any time for free from any phone on 116 123. This number is free to call and will not show up on your phone bill. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.samaritans.org to find details of your local branch where you can talk to one of our trained volunteers face to face.
- Samaritans is a charity and it’s the public’s kind donations and more than 20,000 trained volunteers that mean we are always there for anyone struggling to cope. Your money or your time could save a life. Find out how you can support us: http://www.samaritans.org/support-us
Leeds Building Society
- Samaritans is at the heart of communities and so are we - Samaritans have hubs in 49 of the areas where we have branches.
- Leeds Building Society has a target to raise £1.2m for charities and good causes by the end of 2020.
- In 2017 it helped over 50,000 more people have the home they want and a record 71,000 more people save for their future.