Leeds Building Society Foundation
The Leeds Building Society Foundation is changing – as of July 2022 we're shifting our focus to supporting those in need of a safe and secure home.
We want to provide UK registered charities with grants to support this new purpose, and we're looking to fund projects that fit within the following criteria themes:
- Financial stress
- Education and advice
- Security and refuge
About the Foundation
Since 1999, the Foundation has donated more than £2 million to 3,000 local projects and good causes across the UK. Previously the Foundation provided support to those who were disadvantaged or in vulnerable circumstances. As of July 2022, the Foundation is now focusing on providing support to those in need of a safe and secure home.
The Foundation is run independently by a Board of eight Trustees, who review the applications every three months.
The Foundation receives funding from Leeds Building Society and from members donations via the 'Your Interest in Theirs scheme'*.
*Members can opt-in to donate the pence of their interest which is then equally split between Leeds Building Society Foundation and our national charity partner.
Small grants (up to £1,000)
Our small grants provide funding to projects that support those in need of a safe and secure home.
Your project must meet our purpose through one or more of our criteria themes.
For our small grants, we only accept requests to fund capital expenditure. This means that we fund the purchase of items used to directly help those in need, rather than contributing to a charity's running costs.
We'll only accept small grant applications from UK registered charities with a turnover of less than £1 million.
To apply for a small grant, please use our online form
Large grants (over £1,000)
We'll be adding some information about our large grants to this page in September 2022.
The list below indicates potential projects or organisations that may fit our purpose and criteria themes. This list doesn't include every option but should give a good idea of what we can fund.
- Sustainability - projects that help with fuel poverty, energy efficiency or climate action
- Health - projects that help those with health needs with housing, adaptations or advice
- Financial stress - projects that help with bills or debt stress
- Accessibility - projects that reduce loneliness, provide supported living services or adapt homes to make them safer for those with accessibility needs
- Education and advice - projects that support money management or provide advice services
- Security and refuge - projects that support emergency accommodation
The Foundation is unfortunately unable to support:
- Religious, military or political projects
- Charities based overseas
- Individuals (including sponsorship)
- Animal welfare projects
- Medical research
- Administrative costs including salaries, rent or promotional materials
- General fundraising appeals
|2022 Meeting dates|
|Wednesday 7 September. Closing date for applications is Friday 26 August.|
|Tuesday 22 November. Closing date for applications is Monday 24 October.|
After you've applied
Your application will be considered at the next scheduled meeting.
Small grant applications will be assessed and scored against the following:
- How closely the charity or project aligns with our purpose
- How the project will directly improve the lives of the recipient
- The number of recipients
- The project cost as a percentage of turnover
- How much funding has been raised so far
- If the funding applied for covers at least 20% of the total required
If your application is successful, donations are made by cheque to the official name of your charity, normally within one month of the meeting date. You’ll be required to complete a short impact form once your project has finished.
You can apply for funding again if your application is unsuccessful, but not for the same items of expenditure.
Unfortunately, we can’t give feedback on unsuccessful applications.
If you have any questions about our grants, please email email@example.comAPPLY FOR FOUNDATION