Leeds Building Society Charitable Foundation was established by the Society in 1999 to support the communities around its nationwide network of branches by making donations to charities working in those areas. Since it’s establishment the foundation has made total donations of over £1,300,000.
The following information tells you about the kind of groups which can apply, the sort of projects the Charitable Foundation can consider, and how to apply.
Who can apply?
Applications will normally only be considered from registered charities. We may also consider applications from groups affiliated to registered charities.
What kind of projects will the Charitable Foundation support?
Generally, we will consider applications for community based projects which aim to provide relief of suffering, hardship or poverty, or their direct consequences.
Some examples of the areas in which we have made donations include:
- Homeless people;
- Adults and children with physical and mental disabilities;
- Older people;
- Underprivileged families;
- Deaf, blind and partially sighted people;
- Community projects benefiting local residents;
- Victims of natural and civil disasters in the UK; and
- Scout, Guide & Play groups.
The project must operate in the area of one of our 67 branches.
Church projects will be considered only where they involve community outreach and benefit (e.g. supporting the homeless, disadvantaged families).
How much can we apply for?
Donations are normally in the range of £250 to £1000. The application must be for capital expenditure. We cannot consider applications towards general running costs.
Will the Foundation make donations to general fundraising appeals?
No. However, we may consider applications for specific items as part of a wider appeal.
Do we have to have an account with Leeds Building Society?
No. The Charitable Foundation was established by Leeds Building Society and is funded by an annual donation from the Society, but makes its decisions independently.
Are there any projects that the Charitable Foundation will not support?
The Foundation is unlikely to make donations for:
- The restoration or upgrading of buildings, including churches;
- Environmental charities (unless there is a benefit to a disadvantaged community); and
- Administration equipment such as IT equipment for a charity’s own use.
The Foundation is unable to support:
- Projects with religious, political or military purposes;
- Overseas charities or projects;
- Individuals, including sponsorship of individuals;
- Animal welfare projects; and
- Medical research.
How do we apply?
In order to keep costs down, there is no application form. Simply write to:
The Secretary, Leeds Building Society Charitable Foundation, 105 Albion Street, Leeds LS1 5AS. Tel: 0113 216 7429
Remember to include the following information:
- The name of your organisation
- The name of the project, and brief information about its work
- A contact name, address and phone number
- Your registered charity number
- Details of what the donation would be used for
- Who would benefit from the donation
- Your nearest Leeds Building Society branch
Your local branch can forward your application if that would be more convenient.
All applications will be acknowledged. The Trustees meet quarterly in March, June, September and November. Following the meeting we will write to you and let you know whether or not your application has been successful.
We regret that we are unable to support every application we receive and the Trustees have sole discretion in the choice of projects which they wish to support. Usually we are unable to consider applications if support has been provided in the last two years.
Where can I get more information or advice?
Please contact the secretary of the charitable foundation on 0113 225 7518. Because the Foundation operates independently of the Building Society, local branch staff are unable to answer questions about the Foundation.