• How do I change my name on my account(s)?

    In most cases, all we’ll require is a certified copy of documentation confirming your new name, such as a marriage/civil partnership certificate or Deed Poll. In the unlikely event that we require any further documentation, we’ll contact you directly.

    You can bring the documents into branch, or post the certified copies to:

    Customer Services
    Leeds Building Society
    26 Sovereign Street
    West Yorkshire
    LS1 4BJ

    Remember to include a signed letter with your request, your name, address, account number and your certified document copies.

    If you have any questions about this process, give us a call.

  • What is a certified copy?

    A certified copy is a copy of a document which has been confirmed as the same as the original by a recognised professional. They may make a small charge for this service. We will certify any documents we need for your application free of charge at any of our branches.

    The following people can certify a document:

    • Chartered & Certified Accountant
    • Bank/Building Society Managers
    • Post Office staff (certification service only)
    • Commissioners for Oaths
    • General Practitioner or Doctor
    • Independent Financial Advisers
    • Justice of the Peace
    • Practising Solicitor
    • A member of Leeds Building Society Staff

    The certified copy document must include:

    • Full name and occupation
    • Company address and phone number
    • Signature and the date
    • Official stamp (if applicable)
    • Statement below

    Statement: ‘I confirm I have seen the original document and this copy is an accurate, unaltered and unedited replica of the original.’

  • How do I change my address for my savings account(s)?

    To change your address for your savings account, you’ll need to log in to your online account and send a request to change your address. Once you’re in, head to ‘Personal Details’. You don’t have to wait until you’ve moved to let us know.

    In this section you can also change your:

    • Phone number
    • Email address
    • Password
    • Memorable questions

    If you have a joint savings account and the other holder’s details have also changed, they will need to log in and update their own information.

    If you don’t have online access, you can also pop into branch to request the change. You’ll need to bring proof of your new address.

  • How do I change my address for my mortgage account?

    To change address on your mortgage account, simply contact us.

    Unfortunately you’re unable to do this online, but our expert team will guide you through the process.

  • How do I change my email address and/or telephone number?

    The quickest way to change your email address and phone number is to log in to your account online. Once you’re in, head to ‘Personal Details’.

    If you don’t have online access you can contact us and we can amend these details over the phone.