Back to Home

Published: 9 June 2023

Home - there's nowhere more special. That’s why making sure your property and belongings are protected from the unexpected is so important. We’ve already explained how home insurance works in our “What is home insurance” article, and now we’re turning our attention to what exactly home insurance covers.

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance is the term used for the cover you take out to protect your home and your belongings. It’s split into two types:

Buildings insurance, which can cover occurrences such as:

  • Property damage caused by events such as flooding or fire
  • Damage caused by events such as an attempt to break into your home, for instance broken doors and windows

Contents insurance, which can include:

  • Theft of your belongings
  • If you lose your possessions inside or outside your home
  • Damage to your belongings

This is only an example of what buildings and contents insurance policies might cover. Please make sure you read the terms and conditions of any insurance policy you intend to take out so you’re aware of the cover you’re getting.

Is buildings insurance the same as home insurance?

No, a buildings insurance policy only covers the building itself. Home insurance is the term used for cover that includes both buildings and contents insurance. Our mortgage terms and conditions say you must have a buildings insurance policy that covers the minimum cost associated with completely rebuilding your property.  You can read our terms and conditions here. But if you want to protect your belongings as well, from things like theft or damage, you may want to take out a policy that includes contents insurance.

You can get buildings insurance and contents insurance individually or as part of a combined policy. Please make sure you take out policies that suit your needs.

How much is home insurance?

It depends. The cost of a home insurance policy can be different for many reasons. A policy quote will be based on things like your property age, location, and a combined value of your belongings.

Does home insurance cover my boiler?

In your home there’s nothing worse than turning the shower on and realising you don’t have any hot water. Unfortunately, most standard home insurance policies don’t cover repairs to a boiler. But the good news is many insurers can offer this cover as an add-on to your policy. Just make sure to ask when you’re getting a quote if you’d like this cover.

Where can I get a home insurance quote?

We now work with Uinsure to provide homeowners with a home insurance quote in as little as 30 seconds online or just a few minutes in one of our branches*. If you want to find out more about Uinsure, please visit our insurance page.

There are many other ways to get a home insurance quote, such as an online search or contacting providers directly. Most mortgage lenders provide insurance, or work with insurers to provide you with a policy.


This guide is intended as a summary only and does not constitute legal or financial advice given by Leeds Building Society. No reliance should be placed on this guide. We recommend that you seek independent legal advice and/or financial advice if you have any questions or queries.

*Home Insurance arranged by Leeds Building Society from 9 May 2023 is supplied by Uinsure Limited. Uinsure Limited is registered in England and Wales with company number 06046870 with a registered office at XYZ Building, Hardman Boulevard, Manchester M3 3AQ. Uinsure Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered on the Financial Services Register under number 463689. You can check a firm’s registration on the FCA website at or by calling 0800 111 6768.

You may also be interested in