Identification (ID) for savings customers
We confirm the identity of each person before opening an account. If you apply online, we do this using an electronic verification system. If we aren't able to identify you electronically, we'll ask for the following documentation.
If you’re asked to provide ID, you’ll usually need to send us two separate documents - one from Group A, and one from Group B.
Group A - to confirm your name
We’ll need a certified copy (not the original document) of one of the following:
- UK, EU, EEA or Swiss Passport
- UK Photo Driving licence (full or provisional)
- Shotgun Licence
- Firearms Certificate
- EU, EEA or Swiss Member State Identity Card
- Northern Ireland Voter’s Card
- Blue Disabled Driver’s Pass
Group B - to confirm your current address
We’ll need an original or certified copy of one of the following, showing your full name and current home address.
- UK driving licence (photocard or paper)
- Benefits Agency letter confirming rights to state benefits
- Solicitor written confirmation of house move
We also accept these, up to 12 months old:
- HMRC tax notification (not a P45 or P60)
- Mortgage statement
- UK Council Tax bill (valid for this year)
We also accept these, up to 3 months old (but not printed from the internet):
- Bank or building society statement (including a sort code)
- Utility bill or prepayment certificate
This includes applications for children’s savings accounts and under 18s opening an ISA.
We’ll need an original or certified copy of one of the following:
- Full birth certificate (we can’t accept a short version)
- UK or EU passport
How to send us your documents
If you’ve applied online, you’ll need to tell us the reference number in your 'Confirmation of Savings Application' email (under ‘Getting Some Help’).
You can post your documents to:
Leeds Building Society
26 Sovereign Street
Or you can take the documents into your local branch.
Returning your documents
We’ll return all documents by UK Mail. If you need to send us original passports or driving licenses, we’ll send these back to you by recorded post after we’ve opened your account.
Please don’t send us original copies of any documents you don’t want to lose. We can’t be responsible for any documents lost in the post.
What’s a certified copy?
A 'certified copy' is a copy of a document which has been confirmed as the same as the original by a recognised professional, who may charge for this service. We’ll certify any documents we need for your application free of charge at any of our branches.
Who can certify a document?
- Chartered & Certified Accountant
- Bank/Building Society Managers
- Post Office staff (certification service only)
- Commissioners for Oaths
- General Practitioner or Doctor
- Independent Financial Advisers
- Justice of the Peace
- Practising Solicitor
- A member of Leeds Building Society Staff
What needs to be written on the certified copy?
The certified copy document must include the registered professional's:
- Full name and occupation
- Company address and phone number
- Signature and the date
- Official stamp (if applicable)
- The following statement: ‘I confirm I have seen the original document and this copy is an accurate, unaltered and unedited replica of the original.’
Need more help?
If you have any other questions about opening an account, you can email email@example.com or contact us another way.