Identification for Savings Customers

We verify the identity of each person before opening an account. To do this we use an electronic verification system, if we aren't able to identify you electronically we'll ask for the following documentation.

Group A

Send a certified copy of one of the following:

  • UK, EU, EEA or Swiss Passport
  • UK Photo Driving licence (full or provisional)
  • Shotgun Licence
  • Firearms Certificate
  • EU, EEA or Swiss Member State Identity Card
  • Northern Ireland Voter’s Card
  • Blue Disabled Driver’s Pass

Group B

Send an original or certified copies of one of the following which shows your full name and current home address.

  • UK Driving licence (photocard or paper)
  • Benefits Agency letter confirming rights to state benefits
  • Solicitor written confirmation of house move

We also accept these, up to 12 months old:

  • HMRC tax notification (not a P45 or P60)
  • Mortgage statement
  • UK Council Tax bill (valid for this year)

We also accept these, up to 3 months old (but not printed from the internet):

  • Bank or building society statement (include a sort code)
  • Utility bill or prepayment certificate

If you need to send a document from Group A and Group B please send us two different documents.

How to send the documents to us

If you have applied online quote the reference we've emailed to you and post the documents to: Online Services, Leeds Building Society, 26 Sovereign Street, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS1 4BJ.

Please do not send original documents from Group A, only send certified copies.

Or you can drop the documents into your local branch.

Certified copies

What is a certified copy?

A ‘certified copy’ is a copy of a document which has been confirmed as the same as the original by a recognised professional and they may make a small charge for this service. We will certify any documents we need for your application free of charge at any of our branches.

Who can certify a document?

  • Chartered & Certified Accountant
  • Bank/Building Society Managers
  • Post Office staff (certification service only)
  • Commissioners for Oaths
  • General Practitioner or Doctor
  • Independent Financial Advisers
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Practising Solicitor
  • A member of Leeds Building Society Staff

What needs to be written on the certified copy?

The certified copy document must include:

  • Full name and occupation
  • Company address and phone number
  • Signature and the date
  • Official stamp (if applicable)
  • Statement below

Statement: ‘I confirm I have seen the original document and this copy is an accurate, unaltered and unedited replica of the original.’

Need more help?

If you have any other questions please contact us.