Letting your property for up to 12 months

Gaining consent for a temporary let

If your circumstances change and you need to temporarily let your home, we’re here to help.

Simply call us on 03450 50 50 75 and ask about a Consent to Let agreement. Once you have consent to let, you can rent out your property for up to 12 months.

Want to let your home for longer than a year? You may want to consider applying for a Buy to Let mortgage instead. You can find out more about this by calling 03450 50 50 75.

The mortgaged property (which may be your home) may be repossessed if you don't keep up repayments on your mortgage.

How do I gain consent for a temporary let?

It's essential to get our permission before letting your home. We’ll need to look at your new circumstances as this is an important change in the terms of your mortgage.

Please make sure you follow the steps below to ensure you stay in line with your mortgage conditions.

  1. The first thing to do is call us on 03450 50 50 75. As this is a change in the way your mortgage works, we’ll need to talk it through with you on the phone before making any decision.
  2. Once you’ve called, the next step is to complete our Letting Pack.
    - Please read this document carefully and fill in the Letting Declaration.
    - Call us back so we can go through the information you’ve provided.
    - Post the completed Letting Declaration back to us with any requested documents.
  3. If everything is okay with your application, you’ll receive a confirmation letter through the post. This will include details of your new monthly payment terms (which could increase). Please be aware, there may be fees and charges that apply depending on your individual circumstances.

What happens next?

The initial consent to let period on your property will be a maximum 12 month agreement.

Once you move back into your property, you must contact our Contact Centre team as soon as possible to let us know. It’s important to do this so we can get you back onto the right product, which may well be lower than the rate for letting your property.

Are there any limits on the types of tenancies you allow?

As long as there is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), or a Private Residential Tenancy (if in Scotland) in place, there are no restrictions set on the number of tenants allowed. If you have a Shared Ownership mortgage, however, you need to gain approval from your housing association before we can consider consent to let. All other restrictions, such as the prohibition of sub-letting, are outlined in the Letting Pack

Do I need to earn a certain minimum income if I wish to get consent to let?

No, however we will consider certain details such as your income to decide whether we believe your mortgage will remain affordable to you due to your new circumstances.

Does my mortgage need to be in place for a certain period before I can apply for consent to let?

There are no restrictions on how long you need to have held your mortgage with us, or resided in the property, before you can apply for consent.

What are the fees associated with getting consent to let?

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to pay a one-time Consent to Let fee of £85. This can either be added on to your mortgage balance or paid by debit card over the telephone. You may also be charged a higher interest rate, in line with your mortgage conditions.

If I am in the armed forces or tied employment, will I be charged any fees?

No. We do not charge those working for the armed forces for consent. The same applies for anybody else who is required to live in work accommodation as part of their job.